Cream of Artichoke Heart Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-oz. jar/can artichoke hearts
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, melt butter; add onion and garlic and cook till onion is translucent. Slowly whisk in flour (no lumps), then gradually add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add drained artichoke hearts; reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree (use a slotted spoon in order to include some of the non-liquid ingredients). Add this mixture back to the soup pot. Blend well, then add half and half, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Heat to a very low simmer, but do not boil or soup will break.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad. GLUTEN FREE: Use almond flour instead of whole wheat flour. NUTRITION: 229 Calories; 17g Fat; 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 46mg Cholesterol; 896mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!