Sweet Onion Pork
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 6 6-oz. boneless pork chops
- 1/2 cup white wine or use white grape juice with a splash of cider vinegar sliced
- 4 large Vidalia onions OR other sweet onions thickly sliced
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pork chops and brown on both sides (you don't need to cook them all the way through—they just need to be nicely browned on the outside), about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the browned chops to a slow cooker. Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Place them on top of the pork chops in the slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth and wine to the skillet and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour liquid over pork chops and onions. Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours. Serve hot and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: “Baked” sweet potatoes (wrap them in foil and “bake” them in a slow cooker to keep your kitchen cool). Add steamed green beans. VEGETARIAN: You’ll be skipping the whole slow cooker portion of this recipe and preparing it on the stovetop. Instead of pork chops, use non-breaded faux chicken patties and use vegetable broth. Brown patties as directed above then remove from skillet and set aside. Add onions to the skillet and cook until nicely browned. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and the wine (or juice/vinegar) to the skillet. Bring mixture to a boil then add the browned chicken patties and simmer for about 10 minutes. Top patties with onions and serve. KOSHER: Use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of pork chops. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chicken broth and wine (or juice/vinegar) are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 267 Calories; 9g Fat; 42g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 158mg Sodium. Exchanges: 17 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!