Kickin’ Dirty Rice
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Heat a large non-stick skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add ground beef. Cook and crumble until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, then remove from skillet and set aside. Now heat the oil in the skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add rice and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, seasonings (onion flakes through salt) along with the browned ground beef.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, stirring once after 15 minutes. Stir in sliced green onions, serve, and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Braised collard greens and warmed, buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles and low sodium vegetable broth. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce and beef broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 319 Calories; 8g Fat; 15g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 508mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!