Citrus Slow Cooked Roast with Crispy Greens
- 1 2-pound boneless beef roast cubed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 small cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 4 cups chopped collard greens
- Season roast with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot. Add beef cubes; sear for 3 minutes per side then transfer to a large crock cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine next 7 ingredients (garlic through chicken broth); pour mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 8 hours or until beef is fork-tender and light pink in the center. Let cool for 15 minutes shred with 2 forks.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Add a side of steamed mixed vegetables, like carrots, cauliflower and broccoli. NUTRITION: per serving: 601 Calories; 43g Fat; 40g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 131mg Cholesterol; 184mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 5 Fat. Points: 16
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!