Chile Verde Pork
- 1 large green bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 pounds pork tenderloin
- 1 1/2 jalapeno peppers de-seeded and chopped, more or less, to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 12 ounces salsa Verde
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pork and brown on all sides (you don't need to cook it through—you just want it nicely browned on the outside). Season with salt and pepper then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Place sautéed veggies on top of pork then add salsa and broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or until pork is fork-tender. Remove pork from slow cooker and let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve topped with slow cooker juices and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a big salad. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties instead of pork. Replace chicken broth with vegetable broth. You’ll be skipping the whole slow cooker portion of this recipe and preparing the meal on the stovetop instead. Brown chicken patties as directed above then remove from skillet and set aside. To the same skillet, add onions, garlic, bell pepper and jalapenos. Sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add salsa verde and broth along with the browned chicken patties. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve patties topped with veggies. KOSHER: Use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure salsa and chicken broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 348 Calories; 11g Fat; 50g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 148mg Cholesterol; 395mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 7 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!