Cajun Shrimp Gumbo
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 8-oz. package frozen okra
- 1 8-oz. package frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 pounds medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cups brown rice prepared as per package directions
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare brown rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and sauté until onion begins to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, lemon juice and spices (paprika through pepper). Fold in red bell pepper, okra, and mixed vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until frozen vegetables are thawed and starting to soften. Meanwhile, prepare brown rice*.
- Stir shrimp into gumbo and cook for 10 to 25 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink and opaque.
- Serve immediately over rice and enjoy!
LEANNE’S NOTE: If you like, add extra broth or water to the gumbo and cook the rice right in the pot. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve braised collard greens on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use tofu instead of shrimp. KOSHER: Use boneless skinless chicken breast meat cut to the approximate size of shrimp. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth and tomato sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 492 Calories; 6g Fat; 41g Protein; 68g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 230mg Cholesterol; 1253mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. Points: 12
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!