White Bean Chili
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 large stalks celery diced
- 2 4-oz. cans diced green chili peppers preferably "fire-roasted"
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 13.5-oz. can cannellini beans or navy beans drained and rinsed
- Combine first 10 ingredients (chicken through bay leaf), in a large crock cooker. Stir to make sure the spices coat everything, and nestle the chicken into the vegetables.
- Pour the chicken stock over top, covering the chicken and vegetables by an inch or so.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, remove the lid of the slow cooker and add the beans. Place the lid back on, and cook until flavors blend, approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred it into large, bite-sized pieces with two forks. Stir the chicken back into the soup and remove the bay leaf. Serve with your choice of toppings.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Big spinach salad. *Serve with your choice of Monterey Jack, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, sour cream or hot sauce VEGETARIAN: Omit chicken. GLUTEN FREE: N/A NUTRITION: 283 Calories; 5g Fat (14.0% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 86mg Cholesterol; 620mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!