Sweet Potato and Chicken Mole Enchiladas
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil divided
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes diced with skin on
- 5 dried ancho chilis stemmed and seeded
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 disc Mexican chocolate preferably Abuelita’s, 3.1 ounce
- 12 corn tortillas warmed, 6 inch
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss chicken in 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, and place on a large baking sheet. Add salt and pepper. Bake until cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, in a separate medium pot, boil water and par-cook sweet potatoes, about 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse in cold water to stop cooking, and set aside.
- Allow chicken to cool, once cooled, shred.
- For the mole: reconstitute the dried chilies by soaking them in 1/2 cup of hot water for about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and place in a blender.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until garlic is aromatic.
- Add to blender, along with almond butter, oregano and chicken broth. Blend until smooth, and transfer back into large skillet, allow to simmer. Stir in chocolate until smooth. Once smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside 1 cup of mole sauce for the top of enchiladas.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high, and add remainder of avocado oil. Once hot, reduce heat to medium and fry one tortilla at a time, until they are soft and pliable.
- Dip the tortilla for the second time in enchilada sauce, and quickly fill with chicken and sweet potatoes, roll them into a cigar-like shape, and place them seam side down in a baking dish. Repeat until dish is filled.
- Pour over remainder of sauce and sprinkle with feta cheese. Bake for 10 to15 minutes until cheese is slightly melted and sauce is bubbly. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mixed baby greens salad: mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, avocado, tomatoes, and cucumber, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Replace chicken with black beans. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure corn tortillas are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 402 Calories; 17g Fat (36.5% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 57g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 269mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!