Slow Cooker Spicy Smoky Salsa Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- 1/2 cup crushed Baked tortilla chips optional
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate pork cutlets for 30 minutes (see recipe).
- In a slow cooker, combine first 12 ingredients (chicken through broth); stir well to blend.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Ladle mixture into bowls and top with cilantro, cheese and tortilla chips if desired. Enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Replace chicken with 15 ounces kidney beans (drained and rinsed or homemade) and add some whole white button mushrooms, if desired. Use vegetable broth. Reduce cooking time to 1 to 2 hours. KOSHER: Skip the optional cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, salsa, beans and tortilla chips (if using) are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 428 Calories; 3g Fat; 48g Protein; 53g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 852mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!