Savory Lamb Stew
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless leg of lamb cubed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 piece ginger peeled, minced, 2-inch
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 small oranges zested and juiced
- 4 cups chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced dates
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium-size bowl, combine salt and pepper and cinnamon with the lamb meat to coat and season evenly.
- In a large cooking pot on medium heat, heat oil and brown the stew meat, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- In the same heated pot, add onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until it begins to brown slightly. Add garlic, ginger, and rosemary and cook for another couple of minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the next 6 ingredients (apple cider vinegar through dates) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for about 1 hour 30 minutes, or until lamb is cooked to desired tenderness. Serve warm garnished with parsley.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Braised Kale, Swiss Chard or Collard Greens. Remove ribs from greens. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Gradually add greens and cook, turning with tongs, until slightly wilted; add 1 cup of water or broth and salt and pepper to taste; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. NUTRITION: 533 Calories; 31g Fat (51.4% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 108mg Cholesterol; 146mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 4 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!