- 1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Herbes de Provence divided
- 2 egg whites beaten
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic pressed and divided
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1/3 onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon black olives chopped
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, half of the Herbes de Provence, the egg, tomato paste and half of the garlic; blend well.
- Form mixture into 12 large meatballs then press them into lightly-oiled muffin cups, creating “cupcake liners” made out of beef mixture in the muffin pan.
- Add bell pepper, onion, olives, and remaining garlic to each cup in equal portions.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, vinegar and remaining Herbes de Provence; spoon mixture over the veggies then top each pizza cup with Mozzarella cheese; bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and cheese is bubbly.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, avocado and tomato, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Instead of ground beef, use TVP crumbles, 1 additional egg and 1 cup of dry bread crumbs to make “meatballs” (instead of “muffin cups”) and bake with sauce poured over the top. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher and omit cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Herbes de Provence, tomato paste, olives, vinegar and tomato sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 346 Calories; 4g Fat; 15g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 34mg Cholesterol; 524mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 3
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!