Kale, Chorizo, and a Fried Egg with Sourdough Croutons
- 1/2 loaf sourdough bread cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound chorizo diced and out of its casing
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound chopped kale
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss cubed bread in olive oil, and place on a medium baking sheet. Add salt and pepper. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until bread cubes, are golden and crusty. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan on high heat, once hot, reduce to medium-high and add chorizo, and cook until fat is rendered. Remove chorizo from pan and set aside. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add in garlic on top of onion, cook until aromatic and then add in the kale. Allow to sauté, and add salt and pepper. Once kale begins to wilt, add in water and cover for about 3 to 5 minutes, until kale is wilted, but still vibrantly green. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Heat a separate medium-sized pan on high heat, once hot, reduce to medium and add butter. Cooked fried eggs to your liking, but over-easy is recommended. Add salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, sprinkle lemon juice over kale.
- To serve, add 5 to 6 cubes of bread croutons to a plate, top with chorizo and kale mixture, and a fried egg.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sweet potato fries: Peel sweet potatoes and cut into “fries”; toss with olive and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender; season to taste with salt, pepper and chili powder for Sweet Potato Fries. VEGETARIAN: Substitute soyrizo for chorizo. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure bread is gluten-free. NUTRITION: 545 Calories; 43g Fat (70.5% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 289mg Cholesterol; 1090mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 6 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!