Italian Veggie Kabobs
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar plus additional for garnish
- 3/4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 2 medium green bell peppers de-seeded, deribbed and cut into 1-inch squares
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium eggplant cubed
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms halved
- olive oil
- 6 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup cubed part-skim milk Mozzarella cheese
- bamboo skewers or metal
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate kabobs for 30 minutes (see recipe). If using bamboo skewers, presoak them in water for 30 minutes, to prevent burning on the grill
- Preheat grill to MEDIUM. In a small bowl, whisk together first 7 ingredients (basil through black pepper) and set aside.
- Alternately thread veggies onto skewers then place them in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over kabobs then cover and marinate for 30 minutes. Lightly oil the grill grate.
- Remove kabobs from dish, shaking off excess marinade (reserving marinade) and grill over indirect heat for 7 to 10 minutes, turning every 1 to 2 minutes and basting with marinade, until cooked through.
- Watch carefully to prevent burning! Serve over mixed baby greens then drizzle with a little more balsamic vinegar and garnish with Mozzarella cubes.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Angel Hair pasta tossed with a little butter and grated Parmesan cheese. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure vinegar is gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 443 Calories; 7g Fat; 23g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 92mg Cholesterol; 1349mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!