Italian Beef Zucchini Boats
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 4 large zucchini halved vertically then cored
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, salt, and black pepper. In a medium bowl, combine garlic, dried herbs and tomato sauce. Add approximately half of the tomato sauce mixture to the beef mixture and blend well.
- Fill zucchini with equal parts of ground beef filling then place in a lightly-oiled baking dish. Add onion and broth to the remaining tomato sauce mixture. Pour this mixture over the filled zucchini; bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Top with the Mozzarella cheese then bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Enjoy!
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some garlic toast. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher and skip the Mozzarella. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth and tomato sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 443 Calories; 7g Fat; 23g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 92mg Cholesterol; 1349mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!