Cuban Shredded Beef
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and julienned
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and julienned
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped green olives
- Season roast on all sides with salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, and oregano; place it in a large slow cooker.
- Add bell peppers and onion to the slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together broth and tomato paste; pour mixture over the beef and vegetables then add the bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove roast to a bowl, allow it to cool then shred the cooled beef with your very clean hands.
- Return shredded beef to the crock cooker; blend with juices and heat through. Remove bay leaf, fold in olives and serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Wrap beef/veggie mixture in large Romaine lettuce leaves. Add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Wrap beef/veggie mixture in warmed whole wheat flour tortillas.. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, tomato paste and olives are gluten-free. NUTRITION: per serving: Calories: 318, Total Fat 12g, Cholesterol 110mg, Sodium 2335mg, Total Carbohydrates 8g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 45g Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!