Cod with Romesco
- 1 small dried ancho chili halved and seeded
- 2 large red bell peppers halved and seeded
- 3 large plum tomatoes halved
- 1 small onion halved
- 6 tablespoons olive oil divided
- Parchment paper
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 slice wheat bread toasted, cubed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds cod or any firm fleshed white fish
- 1 medium lemon juiced
- Soak ancho chili in a 1 cup of warm water for 4 to 6 hours.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Remove chili from water. In a medium bowl, place chili, bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion and coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Once coated, place on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and broil for 10 minutes, until charred.
- In a blender or food processor, add 3 tablespoons olive oil, ingredients from baking sheet and the next 6 ingredients (garlic through salt and pepper).
- Blend 1 to 2 minutes until combined, but still coarse.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place fish in a baking dish and coat with remaining olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with Romesco sauce.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed small new red potatoes tossed with a little butter and chopped parsley. VEGETARIAN: Replace fish with poached eggs. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure bread is gluten-free. NUTRITION: 363 Calories; 21g Fat (52.3% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 65mg Cholesterol; 111mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!