Braised Oxtail and Polenta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 large carrots diced
- 2 large stalks celery diced
- 1 tube tomato paste 4.5 ounces
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound beef oxtail
- 4 large Roma tomatoes diced or 1 (6 ounces) can of stewed tomatoes
- 3 cups dry red wine or red wine vinegar
- 6 cups low- sodium beef bone broth divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 medium head cauliflower steamed and mashed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- On a stove, heat a large cast iron pot on medium-high, once hot, reduce heat and add 1/2 of the olive oil. Add onions and sauté until translucent, season with salt and pepper.
- Add in carrots and celery, and cook until tender. Once tender, add in tomato paste and coat vegetables well. Sprinkle in garlic, and allow to cook until aromatic. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add oxtails and tomatoes. Deglaze pan with dry red wine or red wine vinegar, so that all of the crunchy bits on the bottom lift off the pot.
- Add Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Once deglazed, add mixture which was set aside and half of low- sodium beef bone broth, bay leaves, thyme, and lemon zest.
- Place cast iron pot in the oven, with a lid on, and allow to cook until oxtails are fork tender. Check on the oxtail periodically and if the liquid is too low, reduce heat, and add more bone broth.
- Serve oxtail with mashed cauliflower.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sautéed or Steamed vegetables: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans, squash, Brussels sprouts. VEGETARIAN: Substitute oxtail for butternut squash. GLUTEN FREE: N/A NUTRITION: 483 Calories; 20g Fat (44.1% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 80mg Cholesterol; 554mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!