Beef and Bacon Butternut Squash Skillet
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add bacon and cook for 3 minutes on each side, until crispy.
- Remove bacon from skillet, chop, and set aside.
- In the same skillet on medium-high heat, heat remaining bacon grease and add squash. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly browned but still firm.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside.
- In the same heated skillet, add ground beef and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, until the rendered bacon fat has re-absorbed and the meat is slightly browned.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper, and cinnamon and stir until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Combine squash and bacon with ground beef, stir to combine thoroughly and serve warm directly from the skillet.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Salad of Mixed Baby Greens tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. In a large bowl, toss together mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and avocado. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch each of dried basil and dried oregano; drizzle over salad and toss well. NUTRITION: 355 Calories; 25g Fat (64.3% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 88mg Cholesterol; 132mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!