Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 4 pound whole chicken without giblets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks trimmed and sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups roughly chopped cauliflower
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse chicken under cool running water and pat dry with paper towels; place it on the rack of a large roasting pan, breast side up. Using your fingers, gently separate the skin from the meat and rub the butter evenly all over the flesh of the chicken. Sprinkle the outside of the chicken evenly with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine carrots, leeks, mushrooms, cauliflower, rosemary, salt and pepper; drizzle with olive oil then toss to blend well. Arrange vegetables around the chicken in the roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, basting at least twice with pan juices.
- Chicken is cooked through when internal temperature reaches 160 degrees and juices run clear. Place chicken on a cutting board and allow it to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving. Serve with roasted vegetables.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve braised kale on the side. NUTRITON: 707 Calories; 50g Fat (62.8% calories from fat); 47g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 229mg Cholesterol; 219mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 6 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!