Mexican Beef Stir-Fry
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 medium red bell peppers seeded, de-ribbed and cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 medium onions cut into thin wedges
- 3 jalapeno peppers thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Cut steak into 1/8 inch-thick strips.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine oil, salt and pepper, cumin, oregano and garlic; reserve half.
- Heat half of the seasoned oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; add bell pepper, onion and jalapeño peppers; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry beef strips (half at a time) in remaining oil for 1 to 2 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet and heat through.
- Serve beef mixture over brown rice.
NUTRITION: 395 Calories (kcal); 20g Total Fat; (45% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 3g Fiber; 28g Carbohydrate; 58mg Cholesterol; 83mg Sodium. Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. SERVING SUGGESTION: A big green salad. VEGETARIAN: Substitute a can or two of drained black beans for the beef—add toward the end of cooking time and heat through.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!