Crockpot Mixed Beans and Turkey Ham
- 1 cup dry mixed beans sorted, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup diced carrot
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped turkey ham
- 2 14.5 ounce cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, after beans are cooked
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Soak beans overnight.
- Sort, rinse and soak beans overnight in water. Next day, drain beans and place in a slow cooker; cover with water and cook on LOW FOR 4 hours. Add remaining ingredients (except salt and pepper) and cook for 2 to 3 hours or until beans are tender, adding more water as needed; salt and pepper to taste and serve.
NUTRITION: 223 Calories (kcal); 4g Total Fat; (16% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 10g Fiber; 26g Carbohydrate; 33mg Cholesterol; 1026mg Sodium. Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve in bowls with a big salad on the side. Add some corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Skip the ham and use vegetable broth.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!