Asian Turkey and Rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 1/4 pounds turkey breast cutlets cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded, de-ribbed and cut into short, thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas OR sugar snap peas fresh or frozen
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts OR cashews optional
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add turkey, garlic and gingerroot; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add bell pepper, snow peas, and salt and pepper to skillet and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Combine chicken broth and cornstarch; set aside. Add hoisin sauce and soy sauce to skillet, stirring constantly.
- Add turkey mixture and stir-fry for 1 minute or until turkey is cooked through.
- Serve turkey mixture over rice; sprinkle with green onions and garnish with peanuts if desired.
NUTRITION: 294 Calories; 7g Fat (22.4% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 72mg Cholesterol; 685mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use tofu instead of turkey.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!