Slow Cooker Cassoulet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 6-oz. boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed
- 8 ounces kielbasa sausage sliced
- 1 cup dried Great Northern beans soaked overnight then drained
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth or use homemade, 14.5-oz.
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small eggplant peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and roughly chopped
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Sort, rinse and soak beans overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides; transfer to a large slow cooker. In the same skillet, brown the sliced kielbasa; add to the slow cooker along with remaining ingredients (beans through black pepper).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours. Check for seasoning before serving.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some crusty bread with butter. KOSHER: Use turkey kielbasa in place of regular. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure kielbasa, broth and tomato paste are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 608 Calories; 23g Fat; 63g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 137mg Cholesterol; 1081mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 3 Fat. Points: 15
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!