Roast Chicken with Cheesy Veggies
- 1 3-lb. whole chicken giblets removed
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic peeled and left whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 large red onion peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 head garlic cloves separated, but can be left unpeeled *
- 1 medium red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and thickly sliced
- 1 medium orange or yellow bell pepper, thickly sliced
- 5 ounces shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels then place it on a rack in a large roasting pan; drizzle with half of the olive oil and generously season with salt and pepper, massaging well inside and out. Place 1 clove of garlic, the bay leaf and the thyme sprigs in the cavity; truss the chicken if desired.
- Arrange sweet potatoes, onion, the head of garlic and the bell peppers around the chicken; drizzle with remaining olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Roast chicken for 50 to 60 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted between the thigh and the breast registers 160 degrees.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and allow it to rest while you finish preparing the dinner. Add the cheese to the vegetables in the roasting pan then bake until cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Serve cheesy vegetables alongside the sliced chicken.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add lightly toasted sliced sourdough bread spread with the yummy baked garlic. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 850 Calories; 58g Fat; 54g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 243mg Cholesterol; 370mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 ½ Vegetable; 7 Fat. Points: 22
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!