Pulled Chicken Pesto Sliders
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil divided
- 1 medium red onion sliced into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 12 slider buns split and lightly toasted
- 1 cup prepared pesto
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese at room temperature
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes (see recipe).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper then place in a large zipper-topped plastic bag. In a small bowl, whisk together next 5 ingredients (vinegar through garlic powder) along with 1 cup of olive oil until well blended; pour mixture over chicken; seal bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- At time of cooking, place marinated chicken in a large baking dish; bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from oven; allow it to rest for 10 minutes then shred with 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, place onion rings on a baking sheet; drizzle with remaining 1/2 cup of oil, season with sugar, salt and pepper then bake for 20 minutes or until onions have caramelized. Build each slider equally with shredded chicken, caramelized onions, pesto and cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, avocado and cherry tomato halves, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Instead of chicken, use non-breaded faux chicken patties, adjusting marinating time and preparing on stovetop, then follow remaining recipe instructions. KOSHER: Use soy cheese, or skip. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure Italian seasoning is gluten free and use gluten free slider buns. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 1094 Calories; 71g Fat; 72g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 201mg Cholesterol; 1235mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 9 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 11 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 29
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!