Oven Barbecue Bourbon Lime Chicken
- 3 pounds skinless chicken legs
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 limes 1 zested, all juiced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or use additional broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate chicken overnight or for at least 4 hours (see recipe).
- Place chicken in a large zipper-topped plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together next 8 ingredients (soy sauce through bourbon) until well blended. Pour mixture over chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours, turning occasionally. At time of cooking, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken in a roasting pan (discarding marinade and bag) and add salt and pepper to taste. Roast chicken for 15 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Pour the chicken broth into the pan and roast for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Serve and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a big bowl of broccoli slaw (use a ready-made mix and toss with mayo and a little rice vinegar). VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties and replace chicken broth with vegetable broth. Adjust cooking time as needed. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure soy sauce, ketchup, bourbon and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 258 Calories; 5g Fat; 30g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 107mg Cholesterol; 771mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 6
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!