- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle chili peppers with adobo sauce
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes juiced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and cut lengthwise into 8 thin slices
- Baked tortilla chips crushed for optional garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Raise heat to high and push the onion and garlic to the side of the pan.
- Add chicken and cook and stir for 5 minutes or until golden. Stir in chipotles and adobo sauce along with the chicken broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming off any foam. Stir in cilantro and lime juice then season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place 2 slices of avocado in each soup bowl, add soup and top with crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add warm buttered corn muffins. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chipotle chilies, adobo sauce, broth and tortilla chips (if using) are gluten-free. NUTRITION per serving: 675 Calories; 31g Fat; 85g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 202mg Cholesterol; 1070mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 9 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 Fat. Points: 17
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!