Green Chili and Pork Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 6 medium red potatoes cubed, but not peeled
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 2 4-oz. cans diced green chilis
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Place pork cubes in a large zipper-topped plastic bag.
- Sprinkle with flour and shake to coat. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork cubes, onions, potatoes and garlic. Cook until lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add broth and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer mixture to a slow cooker. Add green chilies and oregano and stir to blend. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baked acorn squash and steamed broccoli spears. VEGETARIAN: Replace pork with 30 ounces cannellini beans (drained and rinsed or homemade); add 1 medium green bell pepper (de-seeded, de-ribbed and cut into large chunks). Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Place all ingredients directly into slow cooker. KOSHER: Instead of pork, use boneless skinless chicken thighs. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten free flour and make sure broth and diced green chilies are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 362 Calories; 12g Fat; 30g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 56mg Cholesterol; 542mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!