Greek Steak Pitas
- 2 pounds flank steak cut diagonally into strips
- 1/4 cup low sodium coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil divided
- 2 cups shredded Romaine lettuce
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 large pita bread rounds halved
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Marinate beef strips for at least 30 minutes (see recipe).
- Place beef strips in a large zipper-topped plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together next 8 ingredients (coco-aminos through garlic) along with all but 2 tablespoons of olive oil; pour mixture over beef strips, seal bag and turn to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add steak strips and sauté until desired level of doneness is achieved.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, tomatoes, Feta cheese, salt and pepper. Fill pita bread halves with steak strips and lettuce mixture.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, English cucumber spears, cherry tomatoes and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: Replace beef with 2 (15-oz.) cans drained and rinsed garbanzo beans. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher and skip the Feta. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure coco-aminos and Montreal steak seasoning are gluten free. Use gluten free pita bread. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 673 Calories; 38g Fat; 38g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 88mg Cholesterol; 579mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 18
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!