Clam Chowder with Corn and Leeks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium leeks cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 6.5-oz. cans clams in their juice
- 3 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low sodium fish stock or use homemade
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn thawed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook and crumble bacon.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery; cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low then add flour; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Add clams and their juices, potatoes, wine, fish stock and thyme; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add corn; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through then salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle chowder into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley and crumbled bacon.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, cucumber spears, grape tomatoes and whole black olives. Add warm crusty bread with butter. VEGETARIAN: Skip the clams and bacon, double the veggies and increase fish stock to 4 cups. Use soy milk instead of half and half. KOSHER: Skip the bacon or use turkey bacon if desired. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned clams, fish stock, wine and bacon are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving 262 Calories; 7g Fat (27.3% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 31mg Cholesterol; 375mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!