Chicken and Vegetable Tagine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 medium carrots peeled and quartered
- 2 large turnips peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 12 dried apricots halved
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 3 cups boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook chicken.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally until softened then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add next 10 ingredients (carrots through broth) to the slow cooker; stir well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- A few minutes before serving time, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Stir in chopped chicken; cook until heated through. Garnish with chopped cilantro then serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed broccoli spears and Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste). SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 357 Calories; 9g Fat; 51g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 103mg Cholesterol; 542mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!