Braised Chicken and Plantains
- 1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced thin
- 2 scallions sliced diagonal
- 1 medium green bell pepper sliced thin
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound ripe plantains peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks, or use Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and sliced
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet with a tight fitting lid. Add chicken pieces and sauté, skin sides down, for 3 minutes per side or until lightly browned; remove from pan and set aside. Add onion, scallions, bell pepper; sauté for 4 minutes. Add the wine and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan; cook until mixture is reduced by half.
- Add garlic, ginger, broth, coconut milk and tomato paste. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and return chicken to the pan; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add plantains (or potatoes) and sliced tomatoes; continue to simmer for 15 minutes (20 minutes for potatoes). Taste and season again to taste if desired. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
SERVING SUGGESTION: White rice and braised collard greens. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties and adjust cooking time/method accordingly. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure wine, broth and tomato paste are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 716 Calories; 51g Fat (63.8% calories from fat); 41g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 199mg Cholesterol; 258mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 8 Fat. Points: 20
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!