Pork Banh Mi Lettuce Wraps
- 1 large carrot peeled and julienned
- 1 large daikon radish julienned, or use jicama
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 Fresno chili pepper chopped, or use Serrano chili*
- 1 head Boston lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber thinly sliced
- Prepare banh mi: Place julienned carrots and daikon radish (or jicama) in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat water, sugar, vinegar and salt over medium heat until sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour mixture over carrots and daikon radish (or jicama) and allow them to marinate while you proceed with preparing the wraps. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and gingerroot and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ground pork and cook and stir (breaking it up with a wooden spoon) until almost browned. Add chili pepper and continue to cook and stir until ground pork is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- To serve, fill lettuce leaves with pork mixture then top with the banh mi and sliced cucumber. Enjoy!
- *LEANNE'S NOTE: To reduce the heat of the chili pepper, remove the ribs and the seeds.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Add a big spinach salad. SERVING SUGGESTION: Fill warmed whole wheat flour tortillas instead of lettuce leaves, if desired. KOSHER: Use kosher ground beef instead of pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure vinegar is gluten free. NUTRITION per serving: 177 Calories; 8g Fat; 8g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 206mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!