Italian Wedding Soup with Pasta
- 2/3 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 small onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 12 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 pound escarole coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound mini whole wheat pasta shells cooked
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare pasta as per package directions.
- Thoroughly combine first 9 ingredients, but DO NOT OVER-MIX!.
- Shape mixture into roughly 1-inch meatballs and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add meatballs and escarole then reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Add cooked pasta and heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve. Enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: A salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, avocado and halved grape tomatoes, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. Add some garlic toast. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of pork. Skip the breadcrumbs, egg, and milk and do not form meatballs (just have ingredients in the soup). Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: Use ground chicken instead of ground pork. Skip the cheese and milk. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth and pasta are gluten free. Use gluten free bread to make bread crumbs. NUTRITION: Per serving: 431 Calories; 14g Fat; 41g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 77mg Cholesterol; 1176mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 11
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!