Easy Weekday Choucroute Garnie
- 2 1/2 cups sauerkraut
- 1 large Spanish onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds optional
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries optional*
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound kielbasa sausage cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound pork tenderloin cubed
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or use homemade
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or use additional vegetable broth
- In a slow cooker place first 6 ingredients (sauerkraut through salt and black pepper) and stir to blend well.
- Add bay leaves, sausage and pork. Pour broth and wine over the top. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours. Serve and enjoy!
- *LEANNE’S NOTE: Juniper berries are usually in the spice section of larger grocery stores. Most sources online suggest adding gin as a substitute, but honestly we suggest you skip them if you cannot find them. Like the peppercorns, they are for seasoning and not eating. The caraway, although a traditional flavor, is optional.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Braised cabbage and Faux-Tay-Toes (see Day 2 directions). SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve mashed russet potatoes instead of Faux-Tay-Toes. KOSHER: Use chopped boneless skinless chicken thigh meat instead of kielbasa and tenderloin. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure sauerkraut, kielbasa, broth and wine are gluten free. NUTRITION per serving: 406 Calories; 20g Fat; 39g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 112mg Cholesterol; 1949mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 2 Fat. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!