Braised Ham with Roasted Mushrooms
- 6 4-oz. ham steaks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 cup white wine or use additional broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 ounces white button mushrooms halved
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Dredge ham steaks in flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat till fragrant. Add ham steaks (in batches if necessary) and cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer them to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add onion, carrots and 4 cloves of garlic and cook until softened. Add tomato paste, broth and wine. Blend well then add mixture to slow cooker. Add rosemary and thyme to slow cooker then cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking time, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss mushrooms with remaining olive oil and garlic along with the chopped parsley. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve ham with roasted mushrooms. Enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed red potatoes and steamed green beans. VEGETARIAN: Instead of ham, use 30 ounces navy beans (drained and rinsed or homemade). KOSHER: Use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of ham. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, tomato paste, and wine are gluten free. Use gluten free flour. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 335 Calories; 10g Fat; 36g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 2016mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!