Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups green peas
- 1 cup shredded low fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2/3 pound whole wheat macaroni pasta cooked
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook macaroni pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large sauté pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to a smooth paste. Add milk and, whisking constantly, bring to a simmer until mixture is bubbly and has thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and add sour cream, cayenne pepper, dry mustard and peas. Remove from heat, add cheeses, and stir until melted. Add cooked pasta to cheese sauce and blend well. Pour into a lightly oiled casserole dish. Melt the remaining butter.
- Top casserole with breadcrumbs then drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is lightly browned. Serve and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big spinach salad. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Use gluten free flour and pasta. Use gluten free bread to make bread crumbs. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 417 Calories; 14g Fat; 20g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 258mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 11
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!