Tuscan Sausage Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed, diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 28-oz. can plum tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1 cup white wine or use apple cider
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 pound miniature pasta cooked according to package instructions, Penne or Farfalle
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook pasta in time for dinner.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add sausage and sauté for 5 minutes. Add next 8 ingredients (garlic through oregano); cook for 5 minutes then transfer mixture to a slow cooker along with tomatoes, wine (or cider) and broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours. Just before serving, add cooked pasta and heat through. Top each serving with cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, cucumber, and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. Add some garlic toast. VEGETARIAN: Skip the sausage and add 2 (15-ounce) drained and rinsed white beans. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure sausage, canned tomatoes, wine, and broth are gluten-free. Use gluten-free pasta. NUTRITION: Per Serving Calories: 1637, Total Fat 43g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 3330mg, Total Carbohydrates 103g, Dietary Fiber 8g, Protein 23g Points: 24
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!