Spicy Tomato Coconut Fish Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large habanero chilis chopped
- 2 14-oz. cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14oz. can coconut cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 pounds firm fleshed white fish fresh or frozen, cubed
- 2 large sprigs thyme
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat coconut oil.
- To the pot, add the onion and peppers.
- Sauté for 10 minutes until onion is caramelized and peppers are tender.
- To the pot, add the remaining 8 ingredients (tomatoes through thyme) and stir. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, until fish is tender and flakes easily with a fork. Remove thyme and serve warm.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed broccoli and Cauli-Rice. (Process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” until tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste, then fluff with a fork.) GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chicken broth, tomato juice, and canned tomatoes are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 406 Calories; 38g Fat (78.4% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 355mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 7 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!