Pork with Apple Cider
- 2 pounds pork shoulder roast
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 cloves garlic peeled
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 2 large onions quartered
- 3 apples peeled, cored and quartered
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 12-oz. bottle dark beer or use additional chicken broth
- Place all ingredients in a large slow cooker and stir well to blend. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mashed russet potatoes and steamed baby Brussels sprouts tossed with a little butter, salt, pepper and ground nutmeg. VEGETARIAN: Skip the roast and add chopped sweet potatoes, carrots and rutabagas. Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Use a kosher beef roast and replace chicken broth with beef broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure cider and broth are gluten free. Use a gluten free beer (or skip). NUTRITION: Per Serving: 297 Calories; 6g Fat; 22g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 55mg Cholesterol; 282mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!