Turkey Taco Salad
- coconut oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning mix*
- 5 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 medium avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 4 plum tomatoes diced, Roma
- 1 medium green bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 1 small bunch cilantro finely chopped
- salsa for garnish
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare taco seasoning.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning mix.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring regularly, until turkey is slightly browned. In a large serving bowl, toss together the next 6 ingredients (Romaine through cilantro).
- Add meat mixture and toss again. Arrange salads on dinner plates, top with your favorite salsa, serve, and enjoy!
- *LEANNE’S NOTE: Here’s my favorite Taco Seasoning mix recipe: 1 cup dried minced onion, 1/3 cup chili powder, 2 tablespoons cumin (I actually add an extra tablespoon-we love cumin), 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon oregano, 4 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder Combine all ingredients and store in a cool, dry place. This recipe makes lots you can divide the recipe down if you like or use the leftovers for other Mexican dishes. Use about 1 tablespoon or so per 1 pound ground beef, or chicken. More if you like the extra flavor.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of carrot, celery, jicama sticks and radishes. NUTRITION: per serving: 530 Calories; 26g Fat; 38g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 134mg Cholesterol; 297mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat. Points: 15
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!