Skillet Fish with Tomato and Feta
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cod fillets or use another firm-fleshed white fish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat outdoor or indoor grill OR oven to 375 degrees. On a plate, combine flour and salt and pepper to taste; dredge fish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; brown fish fillets well on both sides then arrange them on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil wrap; fold the edges of the foil up about 1 inch to create a “dish” (or use a small square baking dish if using the oven).
- Add remaining oil to the skillet; cook onion and garlic till soft. Add tomatoes, spices and additional salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, to reduce the sauce.
- Pour sauce over fish, sprinkle with Feta cheese and grill/bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans and a big green salad (add sliced red onion and seeded diced cucumber). SERVING SUGGESTION: Add steamed red skinned potatoes. GLUTEN FREE: Use almond flour. NUTRITION: per serving: 393 Calories; 17g Fat; 48g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 133mg Cholesterol; 549mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!