Rustic Italian Stew with Chicken Thighs and Escarole
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 30 ounces white beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or use white grape juice with a splash of cider vinegar
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 cups chopped escarole*
- In a slow cooker, combine first 6 ingredients (chicken through rosemary). Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- During last 15 minutes of cooking time, add escarole. Stir well then continue to cook until escarole is wilted. Serve hot and enjoy!
- *LEANNE’S NOTE: If you can’t find escarole, try mixing half endive and half baby kale.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Bow Tie Pasta. Add a salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, English cucumber, and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Skip the chicken and add another 15 ounces white beans KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans and wine (or juice/vinegar) are gluten-free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 419 Calories; 9g Fat; 44g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 119mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!