Mexican Baked Chicken
- olive oil
- 4 6-oz. boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 teaspoons homemade taco seasoning mix*
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9- x 13-inch glass baking dish with a little olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with taco seasoning then spoon salsa over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes then remove from oven. Sprinkle cheese on top and then bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
- *LEANNE’S NOTE: Here’s my favorite Taco Seasoning mix recipe: 1 cup dried minced onion, 1/3 cup chili powder, 2 tablespoons ground cumin (I actually add an extra tablespoon-we love cumin), 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 4 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons onion powder. Combine all ingredients and store in a cool, dry place. This recipe makes lots - you can divide the recipe down if you like or use the leftovers for other Mexican dishes. Use about 1 tablespoon per 1 pound of ground beef or chicken - more if you like extra flavor.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Mexi-Cauli Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice’ till tender; drain; toss with a little salt, pepper, chili powder, ground cumin and chopped green onions and cilantro). Add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Use brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice and toss with ingredients listed above. KOSHER: Skip the cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure salsa is gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 325 Calories; 12g Fat; 47g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 571mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!