Market Meatloaf with Potato Frosting
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef or use ground turkey
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups mashed russet potatoes prepared
- 1 11-oz. can whole kernel corn with red and green peppers drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare mashed russet potatoes for topping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, lightly but thoroughly blend first 9 ingredients (ground beef or turkey through salt and pepper).
- Gently press mixture into a 9-inch square baking dish or pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until juices run clear. Carefully pour off drippings. Preheat oven broiler.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed potatoes, corn and green onions. Spread mixture over the meatloaf, to the edges of the baking dish or pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese then broil 3 to 4 inches from heat source for 3 to 5 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Allow meatloaf sit for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 rectangular servings.
- Serve and enjoy!!!!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed medley of carrots, broccoli florets, and cauliflower florets. VEGETARIAN: Use 1 to 2 bags of thawed TVP crumbles as your "meatloaf" base. Double the ketchup and spread over the top. Sprinkle with seasonings and bake in a 375-degree oven until heated through, about 15 minutes. Make mashed potato topping and follow remaining recipe directions. KOSHER: Use TVP crumbles (see Vegetarian option). GLUTEN FREE: Make sure oatmeal, ketchup and canned corn are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per serving: 310 Calories; 10g Fat; 27g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 638mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!