Chicken with Orange Couscous
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup plum sauce
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds crushed
- 5 tablespoons orange marmalade divided
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 10-oz. package couscous
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Orange peel strips and orange slices optional
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine plum sauce, orange juice, tapioca, anise seeds and 4 tablespoons of orange marmalade.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and keep warm. Skim fat from sauce.
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, bring the water and remaining 1 tablespoon of orange marmalade to a boil. Remove from heat then stir in couscous and salt.
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes (fluff with a fork just before serving).
- Serve chicken and sauce with couscous. If desired, garnish chicken with orange peel strips and couscous with orange slices. Enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed asparagus on the side. VEGETARIAN: Instead of chicken, use 30 ounces white beans (drained and rinsed or homemade). KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure plum sauce and marmalade are gluten-free. Use brown rice instead of couscous. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 468 Calories; 7g Fat; 40g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 186mg Cholesterol; 661mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 12
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!