Boeuf et Carottes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- 1 cup red wine or use additional beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle beef cubes with salt and pepper and place them in the skillet. Cook until golden, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and top with remaining ingredients (carrots through orange zest). Stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving and enjoy!!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve the stew in bowls; add a big salad and some crusty bread and butter on the side. VEGETARIAN: Make a vegetable stew! Use vegetable broth instead of beef broth and veggies to replace the roast (turnip, celery, onion and zucchini). KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth and wine are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 293 Calories; 9g Fat; 34g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 176mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!