A Simple Veggie and Chicken Gumbo
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 medium stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash sliced
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage cooked (make sure it’s Paleo-friendly!)
- 18 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast cooked and diced
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Prepare chicken and sausage.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except sausage and chicken.
- Blend well then transfer mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add cooked sausage meat and chicken and stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork). Add braised collard greens on the side. NUTRITION: per serving: 664 Calories; 38g Fat; 61g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 160mg Cholesterol; 2829mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 5 1/2 Fat. Points: 17
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!