Weeknight Steak with Easy Wine Bearnaise
- 4 small beef skirt steaks or other desired cut
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh tarragon finely chopped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 sticks unsalted butter sliced, 1 1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Season steaks with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan a little less than halfway with water over medium heat. Choose a metal or glass bowl that would fit over the saucepan, but set it aside until ready to use. Let the water in the “double boiler” start to get hot, then turn the heat off until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine wine, vinegar, shallot, tarragon and a few turns of black pepper; bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat and strain liquid into a blender (reserving the solids). Add egg yolks; blend well and set aside.
- In the same small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and allow it to start to bubble. Turn on the blender at medium speed, remove the lid and slowly pour in the butter; blend well. Add the strained solids and blend again until well combined. Transfer sauce to the “double boiler” and maintain at medium heat until ready to serve.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until hot. Add steaks and cook until they reach desired level of doneness. Serve with béarnaise sauce.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed broccoli spears and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with butter, cream cheese and salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture).. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve mashed russet potatoes instead of Faux-Tay-Toes. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. Skip the preparation of the béarnaise sauce. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure wine and vinegar are gluten free. NUTRITION: per serving: 888 Calories; 87g Fat; 23g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 397mg Cholesterol; 142mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 15 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 25
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!