TexMex Beef Fajita Stew
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeño
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces black beans drained and rinsed or homemade
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook brown rice in time for dinner. In a large zipper-topped plastic bag, place chili powder, cumin and garlic; shake to combine. Add beef cubes, seal bag and shake well to coat.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add beef cubes and brown on all sides; remove from saucepan with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Heat remaining olive oil in the saucepan; add bell pepper, onion and jalapeno and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until just softened. Add broth and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the saucepan.
- Return beef cubes to the saucepan along with salsa, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and black beans. Bring mixture to a boil then immediately reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until beef is fork-tender.
- Serve over hot rice and enjoy!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big salad on the side. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use 8 ounces of sliced white button mushrooms and add an additional 15 ounces of black beans (drained and rinsed or homemade). Use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, salsa, tomatoes, beans and tomato sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 463 Calories; 16g Fat; 46g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 129mg Cholesterol; 880mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat. Points: 12
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!